We would like to introduce Del Villanueva, Board of Director, as our Collegiate Coordinator. Del currently works in the Athletics Department of UC Berkeley. Del would like to hear from you if you have a group of college racquetball players and would like to get information on State and National Collegiate events or want information on developing intramural racquetball at your school. What is going on at your school? Let us know. Contact Del at:
Intercollegiate racquetball in California is being organized through the Western Collegiate Racquetball Conference (WCRC). To see about teams and clubs in your area, or to learn more about this:
F.A.Q. (Frequenty Asked Questions)
- My school does not have a team, can i compete alone?
Yes, you have to be a full time student in good standing at a recognized degree granting institution.
- Is collegiate racquetball an NCAA sport?
No. Collegiate racquetball is a club sport (or equivalent) and non "varsity" in nature.
- I'm interested in proposing or starting a racquetball "sports club"
at my school, any advice?
Rules,regulations and guidelines differ from school to school. Contact your sports club office for further direction and advice. But before doing so it might be wise to have an idea of the following:
- estimated "ideal" number of members- (how many courts?)
- Club dues/fees that can sustain the club's activities
- typical events ie: socials, clinics, leagues etc.
- Are there plans of having a team that plays out of the club competing in regional and national events ?
- Any idea of fundraising you might want to do?
- You might want to talk to other clubs for information on format, dues, recruitment and any prerequisites required to help you get started. Contact me at the email below or call me directly.
You might also want to read Shane Wood's article on the USAR website: Starting a Collegiate Racquetball Program.
Please watch this space for further collegiate information and forum.
State Collegiate Liaison (CSRA board)
USAR Collegiate Council
Head Coach, University of California at Berkeley Racquetball Team